WeChat rolls out unique QR codes for business customer products
Jul 17, 2019
WeChat is rolling out a new service enabling business clients to use unique QR codes on every single one of their products, allowing them access to more specific data on their individual customers, reported SinaTech.
Why it matters: The expanded offering is the latest move by Tencent to focus more on business clients, rather than users.
- The Shenzhen-based recently unveiled new initiatives for third-party vendors of WeChat mini-programs to help more businesses establish a presence on the Chinese lifestyle platform.
- The firm has been expanding services for enterprises this year, while rival Alibaba has taken similar steps to support small and medium-sized enterprises.
“Through the “one object, one code” system, brands can connect every product and consumer, send product info, bring users into official accounts, provide anti-counterfeit services, send out red packets and targeted marketing, as well as carry out user and data management.”
Details: The service will allow companies to better track offline consumer behavior with data gathered and sent in real-time. Brands can also use the code to interact with customers.
- Chinese dairy Mengniu, liquor brand Jiangxiaobai and herbal tea brand Wanglaoji have already tested the service. Wanglaoji reported that sales grew by more than one-fifth after it started printing the unique codes on its products, according to Sina Tech.
- Retailers can sign up for feature via the WeChat official account platform and design their own customized codes themselves or by using third-party developers.
- A unique QR code system has been mooted in the new retail sector for some time. Walmart and MAC have previously attempted to use such a campaign but it largely failed to gain traction.